Sunday, March 30, 2008

Installment 7: A trip to the Police Station, Beer-da Beer-da Beer-da...

Installment 7: A trip to the Police Station, Beer-da Beer-da Beer-da...

TO THE POLICE KOBAN (box)
I really needed to find an international ATM. I asked a few people...didn't really understand much of what they said except directions-wise. Finally, someone just pointed me to the direction of the police box "koban". When I asked the policeman about the bank, I was told...Shinsei Ginko (bank) NO. So, ok...no Shinsei bank..crap I'm screwed. The officer pointed. Mi-zu-ho (name of another bank)...try... I thanked him and was on my way there when I walked by the SunRoute Hotel. *sounds of music* I see green and the word ATM and VISA! Scooooore! So I got money finallly!

A THOUSAND MILES...
Ok so I didn't exactly walk 1,000 miles... I basically explored even more of this neighbourhood and went crazyyyyy. I made another mistake of seeing yet another stationary shop...the stuff was so cuuuute I couldn't say no. I bought some snacks and a shirt...

Went to a music store and got the Toshinki "Five In The Black" cd and "Japan Concert Tour vol. 2" and then walked around more. I went down a side street and discovered a store called "Book Off". I went inside and JACKPOT! I I came back with loads of cds for only 200yen each ( 2.00usd). Insane!! I spent around 50 something dollars on over 10 cds...that's an awesome deal. (I really should slow down on the spending though, ne?) Got some soba noodles and headed back.

BEER-DA BEER-DA....
10 minutes after I got home, Mellers arrived and asked me if I wanted to go out for dinner. Sure, why not? So we went out to a yummy restaurant and I met their new friend, Yu-chan who is in their program. After that, Mellers and I wanted to go for karaoke and the guys were going to meet up with their Ski Club for drinks. Karaoke was megafull so we just went to meet the guys. When we went up to meet them, the place was packed! Tons of uni students crammed into these spaces with low-rise tables and lots of food and beer. I totally admit to not wanting to stay. I told Mellers I could meet her at home, but she wouldn't hear of it. "NO WAY" she said. "You're going to experience uni life here!" (Did I mention her and Eugene are very convincing?..and that they are trying to convince me to quit my job and attend the SILS program at Waseda too?!??!) So I decided to stay with her and join the party.

It was so funny! People would stand up and make some kind of speech or confession (i'm not sure which) and then they would chug whatever they were holding...(whether it be a glass, bottle, jug or pitcher!) One guy skipped the drinks all together and was just stuffing edamame into his mouth (boiled soya beans). There were some students who were mixed too, so I ended up communicating in English, Japanese and Korean. ahahhaa...It was quite interesting. People were surprised I came from Canada. The girls I talked to were really nice. Mellers was speaking 5 different languages, I think. (She can speak 9 altogether! *bows in admiration*) They would also do toasts where'd we'd all stand and say "BANZAI" three times and then drink. It was quite an experience!

THIS SONG IS DEDICATED TO...
After the Ski Club drinkfest we headed off to karaoke. Eugene, Mellers and I sang a lot. Mellers and I stayed until 3am! ahhaha. So tired..but I took videos of us and they are hilarious! (I can't promise that I'll share them though..I don't need to be blackmailed!) They sang in Chinese, Japanese, English and Mellers also sang in Korean. I sang in English...a few Korean and Japanese with Mellers...(mind you I was singing only parts I knew or what I could read in hiragana) and a Lea Salonga song.

It was definitely yet another another day to remember! Holy moly are these installments getting longer? GOMENASAIIII *bows in apology*

-Sam

originally written: Apr 7, 2007

No comments: